What are Vertical Balers?
Vertical balers are machines that compress materials with a vertical, downward force and pressure. They can be used to bale numerous materials including cardboard, paper, textiles, cans, plastics and non-ferrous metals. Out of all types of balers, verticals are the most economical, utilize minimal facility space and are easy and safe to operate. Vertical balers require an operator to load the material, cycle the ram and tie off bales.
Frequently Asked QuestionsWho would benefit from a Vertical Cardboard Baler?
Big Box Retailers, Commissaries, Distribution Centers, Grocery Stores, Home Retailers, Hospitals, National Accounts, Pharmacies, Recyclers, Schools, Universities, Warehouses, Hospitals, Manufacturing Plants, Non-Ferrous Scrap Yards, Municipal Recycling Facilities, Shopping plazas, Supermarkets and Hotels
The Benefits of Industrial Waste and Recycling Balers?
- Cost Reduction – They save money by reducing disposal cost
- Increase Revenue – They gain revenue by selling bales to the paper mills
- Cleanliness – Reduce clutter and minimize trip hazards
- Save Space – Saves stockroom space
How much does a Vertical Baler cost?
They average between $4,750.00 (B4) and $23,435.00 (VMAXX26)
What material can you process in Vertical Downstroke Balers?
Many balers are known for being very versatile and can process a variety of different materials including Corrugated Cardboard, Newsprint, Plastic Bottles, PET Bottles, Aluminum Cans, Tin Cans, Shrink Wrap, Plastic Foil, Cloth and Textiles
What size bales can you produce in a Commercial Vertical Baler?
Vertical balers are sized based on bale widths ranging from:
- 24”, 30″, 36″, 48″, 60″ and 72″
- Standard Mill Size Ready Bales – 60” x 30” x 48”
- Stockroom Balers are available for locations with low ceiling heights, limited footprints and smaller bale sizes for storage and transporting.
How much footprint does a Vertical Cardboard Baler need?
Vertical balers are more compact compared to horizontal balers which ensure they have a smaller footprint. Vertical Balers require adequate clear floor space and ceiling height for proper installation and operation. Please refer to your equipment’s specification sheet for requirements. This space should always be kept clear of materials which could interfere with the safe operations of the baler.
How much does a Vertical Recycling Baler weigh?
A vertical baler can weigh between 1,400 to 13,000 lbs. depending on the model
How does a Vertical Baler ship?
They are often shipped on a flatbed truck on its side or lying down so they may need to be “stood up”.
How do you unload the Vertical Waste Baler from the truck?
- A fork-lift is mostly used for unloading a vertical baler from a shipping truck.
- Never lift the baler higher than strictly necessary and be especially aware when transporting over sloping surfaces, such as loading ramps. The baler must never lean more than 8° during transport.
- When using a fork-lift, be careful to avoid damaging the spindles (handwheel) and screens. Spindles (handwheel) and screens are marked with a warning label on the packaging.
- The lifting equipment must be designed for lifting the weight of the baler.
Installation Consideration for a 60” Vertical Recycling Baler?
- Baler must be placed into position
- Baler must be anchored onto a concrete pad, a concrete wire mesh or a rebar reinforced equipment pad exceeding 3000 lb. PSI weight ratings and measuring recommended dimensions as provided by the manufacturer.
- Cylinder must be lifted into position and bolted to cylinder mount
- Wire loom must be hooked up to electrical disconnect, provided by customer (Need electrical disconnect within 10’ of baler provided by customer)
How does a Vertical Baler work?
Balers all work in basically the same way. A recyclable commodity like cardboard, aluminum, plastic, paper products, shrink wrap, tires, or non-ferrous metal is loaded into the baler chamber. A platen at the end of a hydraulic cylinder compresses the material until a desired bale size is reached. The bale is then tied off with wire or strapping and is ejected onto a cart, pallet or forklift.
Recycling balers are used to compact recyclables such as aluminum, cardboard, paper and plastic into blocks which can easily be stacked and transported. The blocks of recyclables that come out of balers vary in size and weight depending on how big of a baler you have.
Bale Wire, Plastic Strapping and Wire Ties for a Vertical Baler
- 3/8” Flat Strapping
- ½” Flat Strapping
- ¾” Flat Strapping
- Galvanized 12-gauge x 14 feet
- Galvanized 13-gauge x 13.5 feet
- Galvanized 13-gauge x 14 feet
- Galvanized 14-gauge x 11 feet
- Galvanized 14-gauge x 14 feet
How do you build a Standard Mill Size Bale in a V63HD?
- Ensure that the ejector chains are untwisted and set correctly in the grooves of the baler chamber floor
- Close and lock the main door by tightening the hand wheel lock
- Open the safety gate and load material to be baled
- Pull down the safety gate
- Turn key switch to ON position
- Press the Down Push Button and the Platen will automatically cycle
- Repeat steps 3 through 6 until bale is formed
- Platen will automatically stop in the DOWN position when bale is full and the Full Bale Light will come on at the same time
Electrical options for the Vertical Baler
- 120 or 208 Volts, Single Phase, 60Hz.
- 120 or 208 Volts, Single Phase, 50Hz.
- 208, 230 or 460 Volts, Three Phase, 60Hz.
- 440 Volts, Three Phase, 50Hz.
What Hydraulic oil can be used in a Vertical Baler
20 weight, Texaco brand RANDO HD 68
What Safety systems may be included on an Industrial Vertical Baler
- UL listed controls & totally 100% ETL approved
- All welds meet AWS requirements
- Fully jig & fixtured heavy duty structural steel design
- 3-D SolidWorks finite element analysis (FEA) stress analysis engineered units
- Factory tested & inspected (Quality Assurance Mgr./Team)
- Full bale light on HD models
- NEMA 4 control box & safety interlock switches
- External motor starter reset button
- Operational safety and training video/manual
- Warning signs – meets/exceeds all ANSI & OSHA specifications
- Factory wired for easy installation
Preventative maintenance for a Vertical Baler
- Inspect for Oil Leaks
- Inspect Oil Level
- Inspect the following for Loose, Damaged or Missing
- Safety Decals
- E-Stop Switch
- Interlock Switch
- Key Switch
- Security Door (Hinges and Locking Mechanism)
- Door Seal (Check for Material Blockages)
- Ratchet Binder
- Inspect for Debris
- Remove All Debris Around Compactor
- Inspect Chute for Material Bridging
- Check for Signs of Wear
- Oil Leaks
- Door Hinges/Hand Wheel for excessive play
- Lubricate moving parts (Hinges and Turnbuckle) (Repair or Replace if Required)
- Check Hydraulic Oil
- Should not be Cloudy or Milky in appearance (Replace if Required)
- Check Air Breather/Filter (Replace if Required)
- Check Oil Filter located in the Hydraulic tank under the access panel
- Change every 12 Months
- Check Hydraulic Fittings and Connections. (Repair or Replace as Required)
- Perform a perimeter inspection for refuse, leaks or other damage
Compactors Inc. recommends that an annual preventative maintenance schedule be arranged with your installer. Baler should be inspected one year after the baler has been installed or twice per year if the compactor is used on multiple shifts.
Optional Features available for a Vertical Baler
- Rear Feed-Front Eject
- Front slotted door
- Automatic bale-ejection system
- Rotary fused disconnect
- Single-phase power units
- Retractable dogs
- Automatic wire-guide system
- Oil heater
- Outdoor weather package with enclosure
- Never-stop conveyer feed system
- 380V and 575V international motors
- Wall brackets for bale-tie storage
- Motor coupling system eliminates direct drive and premature motor or pump failure
- The world’s leading innovator of recycling and waste industry technology
- Providing uniquely easy to operate and highly productive balers
- We manufacture balers of the highest quality. One of our most popular machines is the 60” Vertical Downstroke Baler
- Buy a Vertical Baler for your recyclables. Let us help you choose the right baler for waste in your business.
- The V63HD is one of our most popular 60” vertical-downstroke units. This high-density baler produces up to 1,100 lbs. of OCC. This is a multi-material machine.
- Save money and time on waste compaction – use our balers for recycling cardboard and plastic. Bramidan balers are reliable, affordable and safe to use.